Re: Artifact, or Element, or Package

Artifact would imply a single thing is what the BOM describes. Enterprise software is typically a collection of things packaged together and given a marketing name/version.

CycloneDX simply refers to it as a BOM Descriptor with a single ‘metadata’ node describing the contents.
https://cyclonedx.org/ext/bom-descriptor/