RE: [EXT] Artifact, or Element, or Package

Hi. I have been working through some examples in our User Scenarios document and have a question related to the multiplicity of files.

Specifically, I wonder if it might be better to have a 1:1 relationship between an SBOM and a single artifact file. I say this because the file is the level of granularity at which we want to attach intellectual property (license) data.

Let’s say we have three files, a, b and c. Files a and b are GPL licensed., File c is BSD.

Which of the following do we do?

  1. Files a, b, and c each have an associated SBOM, in addition there is a wrapper SBOM that has ‘contains’ relationships with SBOM_A, SBOM_B, and SBOM_C.
  2. Files a and b have an associated SBOM. File c has an associated SBOM.  In addition there is a wrapper SBOM with ‘contains’ relationships to SBOM_A&B, SBOM_C.
  3. Modify our model so that licenseinfo can be carried on the file element, and all files can be described in a single SBOM
  4. Something else.

Am I understanding our current model correctly?

Thanks,

Kay