RE: Updated User Scenarios Document

Hello

Regarding the current version of the proposed model, before addressing the illustration of the user scenarios from the user scenarios document, I wanted to share and explain the illustrations of the ways the current version of the proposed model can handle hierarchical / multi-level-of-granularity / need-to-know situations.

Starting from the same delivery (the multiple files from my tooling), I can

  • Produce 1 standalone SBOM,
    • named “p.douziech@castsoftware.com 3T-SBOM-EMS CRL tooling 23d172b3 md5:5ce3a428625a3ffa8b5d9bdf293cab1a sha1:62a5af236dfd664139e2ad1e5cf29ab72a3ee4c1 sha256:3f3699c3cfacf51c6bb5cda05050b7f56bd7e8e7a51f7836c7805c578627323c”,
    • stored in 1 single physical file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QvRq68o9woludq2_CLYFpmauwPCzwTma (JSON format) or https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eyzswgGn-VJZJgxaEZTDMHRf6F2rTbgm (XML format),
    • detailing the delivery of 9 files (3 R sources, 2 DOCX file, 2 PNG images, 2 XMI file)
  • Produce
    • 1 wrapper SBOM,
      • named  “p.douziech@castsoftware.com 3T-SBOM-EMS CRL tooling 23d172b3 md5:5ce3a428625a3ffa8b5d9bdf293cab1a sha1:62a5af236dfd664139e2ad1e5cf29ab72a3ee4c1 sha256:3f3699c3cfacf51c6bb5cda05050b7f56bd7e8e7a51f7836c7805c578627323c” (note that the name is identical as I deliver the exact same thing, I didn’t alter the files nor packaged them in a zip …),
      • stored in 1 single physical file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SSgs92QKQCrvUnQiPZduB-N2MWrxp-mn (JSON format) or https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZSBKV7YfQFyBFtsKzuNDuteZpt433aG1 (XML format) ),
      • detailing the delivery of the very same 9 files (3 R sources, 2 DOCX file, 2 PNG images, 2 XMI file)
    • 9 detailed SBOM,
    • the link between the wrapper SBOM and the detailed SBOM is done via 9 relationships
      • such as
        <relationship>
        <relationshipType>relationshipType_packageOf</relationshipType>
        <relatedDocument>p.douziech@castsoftware.com 3T-SBOM-EMS CRL buildXMI.R 23d172b3 md5:4835e346c25de6f5975538c112b76ed0 sha1:37295350142273f88fc9cff1ba268c90e860f560 sha256:9308cea6e3b2ff68e6497d17858028100c23e2c15715cb6d96324a67be66d0cf</relatedDocument>
        </relationship>
        in the XML format, where the relatedDocument points to the unique ID
  • Produce the same wrapper SBOM, the same detailed SBOM, with the same relationships,
    • stored in 1 single physical file https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cCzy_mfA996KV3kjLJ2h8OG6qVpZLw3W (JSON format) or https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L-7NGzTMKu-Kn03o25x_HhXh1RBWoyp1 (XML format)
    • the link between the wrapper SBOM and the detailed SBOM is done via the very same relationships, even though they are stored in the same physical file, database, …

Some comments

  • regarding the vulnerability analysis,
    • the vulnerability database would be able to refer the SBOM unique ID (replacing/complementing CPE and other identification),
    • and, assuming this artifact is re-used somewhere else, I’ll be able to track the chain of transformation
    • it’s a matter of which level of details I require from my supplier.
  • regarding the IP analysis,
    • the standalone SBOM and the wrapper SBOM would have an SPDX licensing _expression_ that expresses the mix of licenses (so no information about unwanted licenses is missing)
    • the detailed SBOM would have an SPX licensing _expression_ at the file level
    • so, again, it’s a matter of which level which level of details I require from my supplier
  • regarding the provenance analysis, there is no limit in terms of chaining the SBOM together (be they physically store in one file, many files, one database, many databases, …)
  • regarding the pedigree analysis, there is still no limit in terms of provenance chaining and in terms of link structure (it may not be a tree-like structure, as illustrated by the in-toto simple flow presentation in Nashville, TN)
  • regarding the identity, I created the wrapper SBOM because it had a meaning for me (my tooling); otherwise, I could have limited myself to individual SBOM; I could create any number of wrapper SBOM depending on what I’m delivering

I hope this helps,

Let me know your thoughts

Philippe-Emmanuel Douziech
Principal Research Scientist, CAST Research Labs

M: +33 6 69 95 49 59

CAST | Software Intelligence for Digital LeadersBlog | LinkedIn | Twitter